Didn’t have time to read all of the business highlights in San Diego this week? You’re in luck! Your high level dose of some of the top headlines in San Diego business and innovation is here.
- Scripps Discovers Molecule That Slows Growth of Certain Cancers: The Scripps Research Institute Monday announced the discovery of a molecule that helps retard the growth of certain types of cancer. A TSRI study, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, found that a molecule called CBR-5884 inhibits the production of the amino acid serine by 30 percent. Read more
- Illumina Selects New CEO: For 17 years, Jay Flatley led San Diego’s Illumina through a period of tremendous growth that turned a small biotech company into the world’s dominant provider of DNA sequencing equipment. On Monday, Illumina announced that Flatley is giving up his leadership role as chief executive to its president, Francis deSouza, who will take both jobs as of July 5. Flatley will take the post of executive chairman of Illumina’s board. Read more
- DermTech, Dermpath Ink Marketing Partnership: DermTech, a CONNECT 2015 MIP finalist and private developer of gene expression-based tests for skin diseases, announced last week that it has formed a sales and marketing collaboration with Dermpath Diagnostics. Read more
- New TSRI Study Shows HIV Structure in Unprecedented Detail: A new study from scientists at The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI) describes the high-resolution structure of the HIV protein responsible for recognition and infection of host cells. The study, published last week in the journal Science, is the first to show this HIV protein, known as the envelope (Env) trimer, in its natural or “native” form. Read more
- Sustainable Brands Seeks Entrepreneurs for Startup Business Competition: Sustainable Brands® recently opened submissions for its internationally recognized startup business competition Sustainable Brands Innovation Open (SBIO). Presented and sponsored for a fifth year by Target, the competition culminates at SB’16 San Diego, June 6-9, with venture finalists presenting their early operational plans to business leaders and investors in the Sustainable Brands community. Read more
- Maker’s Quarter: An Innovative District for the Creative: Makers Quarter is a unique neighborhood within downtown San Diego’s East Village, distinguished by its creative ethos and promotion of local artists and makers. Bisnow caught up with Makers Quarter urban planner Stacey Pennington, founder of SLP Urban Planning, to learn about the evolution of the new district and get an update. Read more
Want to see these types of news roundups each week in your inbox? Click here to sign up for CONNECT’s weekly e-newsletter!