Didn’t have time to read all of the business highlights in San Diego this week? You’re in luck! Your high level dose of some of the top headlines in San Diego business and innovation is here.
CONNECT Springboard News:
- Australian Develops New App to Connect Solo Travelers: An Australian adventurer and CONNECT Springboard Mentee, has developed a new app, set to solve the problems of people traveling solo. And he’s got the backing of the world’s biggest social network. It does exactly what the name suggests: connects solo travelers around the world to a social network of other solo travelers. Read more
- Nextech Adds San Diego’s Supramed, 2014 CONNECT Springboard Grad, to its Medical Practice Business: Nextech, a company in Palm Beach, FL, that develops software used to manage physicians’ medical practices, has acquired San Diego-based Supramed, which specializes in medical practice management software for plastic surgeons. Read more
Other Innovation News:
- Illumina Signs Genotyping Deals with Four Partners: San Diego-based sequencing firm Illumina Inc. announced Monday that it has signed four separate biobanking deals with Vanderbilt University, University of Colorado at Denver, Partners HealthCare, and Montreal Heart Institute. Under the agreements, the sample collections housed at each institution will be genotyped using Illumina’s machines. Read more
- UC San Diego Researchers Make Tentative C-Section Discovery: Earlier this week, researchers at the UC San Diego School of Medicine announced a tentative discovery into how babies born by Caesarean section become vulnerable to certain medical conditions. Read more
- Brian Hansen Named Chief Commercial Officer at Tandem Diabetes Care: CONNECT Most Innovative New Product Award 2015 finalist, Tandem Diabetes Care Inc., medical device maker and manufacturer of insulin pumps in San Diego, has announced that Brian Hansen has joined the company as chief commercial officer and executive vice president. Read more
- Venter Expands Attempt to Fight Disease, Increase Lifespan: La Jolla geneticist J. Craig Venter has acquired a company that banks cord blood, giving him access to stem cells that are part of his expanding effort to fight disease and extend lifespans. Read more
- ResMed Founder Pete Farrell Announced as Member of ProtoStar’s Board of Directors: San Diego-based ProtoStar™, Inc., announced its debut as a new company formed to design, manufacture and commercialize a new category of medical walkers that enable users to stand upright and walk safer, longer and more comfortably than with currently available, less stable mobility devices. Read more
Want to see these types of news roundups each week in your inbox? Click here to sign up for CONNECT’s weekly e-newsletter!